As one of the largest mutual insurance companies in the U.S., we’ve been protecting businesses since 1904.
Based in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Sentry® provides business insurance and other products to companies in specific markets across the country. Here’s more information about who we are and what we do.
At Sentry, we offer coverages and services for businesses across the country:
- Property and casualty insurance
- Commercial auto insurance
- Liability insurance
- Business income insurance
- Workers’ compensation
- Life insurance
- 401(k) and other retirement plans
Markets we serve
Sentry works with companies as diverse as those you’d find on Main Street or among the Fortune 500, serving these markets:
- Manufacturing and processing
- Retailers and distributors
- Service industries
Our business units
We offer our business insurance products—including claims and safety service programs—in specific industries where we have the knowledge and ability to deliver targeted products to our customers. Our business areas include:
- National Accounts (NA): We work with large Fortune 500 businesses in diverse industries that typically have thousands of employees and numerous locations.
- Direct Writer: We’ve expanded since our beginnings in hardware, selling through direct writers to metalworking, manufacturing, plastics, printing, hard goods wholesaling, and food processing businesses. We also provide property and casualty insurance and safety services to dealerships—including auto, motorcycle, agricultural equipment, and industrial equipment.
- Transportation: We distribute long-haul truck insurance through a select group of industry-specific independent agents. We also offer specialized safety programs for our trucking customers.
- Regional: We offer insurance products to a variety of industries through independent agents with support from several regional offices located in the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Northwest, and Pacific.
- Life & Annuities: We offer 401(k) plans and business life insurance policies.
- SentryWorld®: Since 1982, we’ve operated a destination golf course, event facility, and restaurant on the Sentry home office campus. And in 2021, we’re opening a boutique hotel. You could say our golf course is a big reason why we now sponsor the Sentry Tournament of Champions.
- Hortica®: The Hortica brand offers insurance products to horticultural businesses, from nurseries to florists.
- Dairyland®: Our personal lines brand provides motorcycle and specialty auto insurance to individuals.
- We’re one of the largest and most financially sound mutual business insurance companies in the United States.
- A+ (superior) AM Best Financial Strength Rating (FSR), 29 years in a row as of June 2020.*
- In 2019, Forbes magazine ranked Sentry No. 452 on its top 500 list of America’s Best Midsize Employers.
- In 2020, Fortune Magazine ranked Sentry No. 670 on its Fortune 1000 list of U.S. companies.
More than 4,300 associates located nationwide are actively involved in the places they live and work, giving their time and financial support. As a company, we follow suit. In part through the Sentry Insurance Foundation, our involvement includes:
- Volunteer efforts
- Scholarship funding
- Associate giving
- Corporate giving
United Way campaign
Our associates give both time and money to their communities. In each of the past six years, our associates and the Sentry Insurance Foundation donated more than $1 million to the United Way of Portage County, Wisconsin. During the same time span, more than $1 million went to United Way locations in other communities with Sentry offices.